Airports have gained valuable experience
CTIA gained valuable experience when assisting with the repatriation of nearly 8 000 passengers to destinations worldwide since the lockdown began in March. ACSA (Airports Company South Africa) also began preparing for the reopening of scheduled domestic services six weeks ago and developed new bio-security airport procedures based on the international roadmap for restarting aviation developed by IATA (International Air Travel Association), ICAO (International Civil Aviation Organization) and Airport Council International.
The procedures were shared with Lanseria International Airport, the Airlines Association of Southern Africa, the Board of Airline Representatives of SA and the Civil Aviation Authority. The CAA (Civil Aviation Authority) approved CTIA’s updated operating procedures and will audit them to ensure the airport meets all requirements.
Bio-security measures at airports are to ensure the highest level of safety precautions for passengers. As soon as a flight has been checked in, sanitisation teams move in and clean everything. The same happens at security. To boost passenger confidence, CTIA has appointed clearly identifiable COVID-19 monitors to ensure everyone adheres to the protocols.
The following measures at CTIA apply:
· Only passengers wearing masks and presenting travel permits are allowed into the airport building;
· On entering, passengers are screened by Port Health officials;
· Passengers must adhere to social distancing markers;
· They are encouraged to check in online at home, but self-check-in kiosks are available;
· Perspex screens have been fitted at check-in counters and only alternate counters are being used;
· Luggage trolleys are sanitised regularly;
· Checked baggage is sanitised;
· Passengers must scan their own boarding passes;
· All loose items must be placed in hand luggage (only laptops will be allowed in trays);
· Passengers setting off metal detectors will be asked to remove belts and shoes (no more patting-down);
· Retail outlets will open gradually on a limited basis;
· MyCity buses are not operating to the airport yet, but people can use taxis and car rental;
· Parking is only available in Parkade 2, which is also the new location for pick-up and e-hailing.